1- Ensure your entry is 5.00mins or less in duration (excluding credits)
*2- Include on USB or email as a word document a brief synopsis of your lm.
*3- Include any high res images that relate to your lm.
*4- One paragraph statement from the lmmaker (about intent etc)
*5- One paragraph biography of the lmmaker(s)
*6- 1 – 2 high res images of the lmmaker(s)
*Optional extras that will help in the publicity of your lm, highly recommended to include.
Prizes and Categories (2017)
(2018 details coming soon - Entries will close June 1, 2018)
AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND SCHOOL SECTION - Entries close June 30, 2017
Judges Choice - Best School Documentary
Winner - SMEG Appliance Package value at $15,000 courtesy of Smeg
Judges Choice - Best School Short Film
Winner - Toshiba Package - ES347csl multifunction printer value $5,200.
Laptop Model PT263A-0GD029 Value $1,600
Cash Prize $3,200
TOTAL PRIZE VALUE $10,000 courtesy of Toshiba
School Most Online Votes
Winner - Rebel Equipment package $10,000 voucher courtesy of Rebel
NOVA Employment School Choice Awards
5x Winner's - Each school will receive $1,000 Rebel voucher courtesy of Rebel
AUSTRALIAN OPEN ENTRANT SECTION - Entries close June 30, 2017
Judges Choice - Best Open Entrant Short Film
Winner - Film training experience in Los Angeles courtesy of TAFTA USA including flights and accommodation
* Prize subject to VISA approval
Judges Choice - Best Open Entrant Documentary
Winner - $10,000 courtesy of ClubsNSW
Most Online Votes - (Can be either an Australian Open Entrant Short Film or Australian Open Entrant Documentary)
Winner - $10,000 courtesy of Ernst & Young
Best Australian Actor
Winner -2x return economy airfare to Los Angeles, Train for 6 weeks in TAFTA USA LA Experience Course (6 week acting program in the USA with top managers, casting directors, coaches and more).
*Please note Actor must seek out own accommodation however there is an accommodation partner provided by TAFTA USA.
NOVA EMPLOYMENT CHOICE AWARD - (Only Australian entries eligible) - Entries close June 30, 2017
Winner - Brand New 2017 Kia Cerato courtesy of Noble Kia and Kia Australia
*The NOVA Employment team select their favourite entry in the 2017 festival that best suits the Focus on Ability theme. All Australian submissions are eligible.
INTERNATIONAL SECTION - Entries close June 30, 2017.
Judges Choice - Best International Short Film or Documentary
Winner - Australian Experience -2 Return Airfares to Australia to attend Focus On Ability Red Carpet Awards on the 6th September, 2017, 2 weeks accommodation at Rydges Sydney Central. Meetings with our esteemed judges, and $1500 spending money.
* Prize subject to VISA approval
Silkari Hotels Best International Actor
Winner - 2 Return economy flights to Sydney for the winner and a carer or partner, including 2 weeks accommodation twin share at Silkari Hotels in Chatswood, plus a scholarship at TAFTA. Courtesy of Silkari Hotels & TAFTA.
Most International Online Votes
Winner - 1 ticket to Australia to attend the Red Carpet Awards night on the 6th September, 2017 and 1 weeks accommodation at Rydges.
* Prize subject to VISA approval
Terms and Conditions
1. Entry to 2018 Focus on Ability Short Film Festival (the Festival) run by NOVA Employment and Training Inc. (NOVA) is FREE..
2. Video entries (Films) are to be maximum 5.00 minute duration, excluding credits. Any Films longer than 5.00 minutes will not be considered. Captions are encouraged to assist hearing impaired audiences, but not compulsory.
3. NOVA reserves the right to exclude any entry they consider inappropriate. This may include any video that in NOVA Employment and Training's opinion contains racist, sexist, violent, discriminatory material or is otherwise likely to offend community standards.
4. The entry form must be correctly completed, accompany your Films and be received/sent by closing date 1st June, 2018. (Films may be placed in the post on June 1st, 2018. They will be time stamped)
5. All films must have an ability/disability theme or be clearly identified as being made by a person with a disability.
6. Each entrant is responsible for their own transit insurance, postage and production costs. Please do not post USBs in regular envelopes as they are at risk of being ripped during the mailing process.
7. Confirmation of receipt of entry will be sent via email within a week of receipt.
8. Films meeting the entry requirements will be uploaded to NOVA's website on the 20th June, 2018 and identified as entrants to the 2018 Focus on Ability short film festival
9. Online voting will commence 20th June, 2018 and cease midnight 3rd July, 2018 (AEST). All other prizes will be awarded by the judges. All winners will be contacted by email and results published on the NOVA website on September 7th, 2018.
10. Entries to be submitted on USB. It is preferable that they be submitted in high resolution, ideally an MP4. NOVA will still accept files not in this format. We will also accept electronic submissions under 500mb. Please email your submission along with the completed entry form and additional material to firstname.lastname@example.org
We recommend using www.wetransfer.com
11. It is the responsibility of the entrants to inform NOVA of any changes to contact details. Please include a valid email address as most correspondence is via email. Please do not use school email addresses.
12. Entries will become the property of NOVA
13. All entrants retain copyright to their films and can submit their films into other festivals.
14. The entrants grant NOVA a non-exclusive, non-transferable, world-wide, royalty free licence for 10 years commencing from the date of announcement of the winners, to use, publish and communicate their Films including online and as part of NOVA's training resources for the sole purpose of promoting the Competition and/or NOVA and its programs, including NOVA's advocacy for people with disability (Permitted Purpose). Any use beyond the Permitted Purpose requires the prior written consent of the winner
15. NOVA will attribute all Films wherever it uses the Films, in the following format:
Name of Film:
Year of Production:
Name of Entrant:
16. Entrants are solely responsible for ensuring that all necessary copyright and other relevant rights and authorisations for their Films have been obtained prior to submitting their entry. NOVA takes no responsibility for any failure by an Entrant to obtain the necessary authorisations.
17. A Film must not have been submitted to this festival in previous years.
18. NOVA's decision as to the winners in each category, runners-up in each category is final and conclusive and no correspondence regarding this will be entered into following the competition.