Win: A One-Off Mikey Freedom Poster Inspired by Campari
The Sydney-based multidisciplinary artist is famous for his graphic posters and colourful murals. In partnership with Campari, we’re giving away one of his Futurist-inspired posters with a nod to the classic Italian aperitif.
“I guess it’s a cliché, but I cannot remember a time when I didn’t create,” says artist Mikey Freedom. “I still have the coffee table I drew underneath as a toddler.”
Born in Sydney and now based in Kiama, Freedom started producing the colourful murals he’s now known for when he was 16. Since then, his art has progressed into many different forms, encompassing murals, oil painting, graffiti, posters, advertising and more.
“I look for opportunities to expand what I do and see things anew, so when a door opens, I’m more inclined to walk through it than hesitate,” he says. Most recently that ethos led him to create works for the redeveloped bar at The Menzies Hotel on Margaret Street in the CBD. “That job had me doing mosaic tables, sculptures, paintings, murals and large collages, and also producing work that would be used in more design and advertising,” he says. “I’ve had the good fortune of being broadly across everything.”
Now he’s answered a call from Broadsheet to create an artwork inspired by iconic Italian aperitif Campari – and you can win it.
Based on a palate of colours Freedom says were often used in advertising during the 1960s, the poster meshes Campari’s history with Freedom’s own style and fondness for the drink.
“It’s a festive drink,” he says. “I felt like that’s what needed to be reflected in the poster.” It’s a nod to the brand’s long history with posters and advertising, and the connection to one of his favourite artists: the Italian futurist Depero. “Legend has it Depero invented the Campari soda bottle in 1932,” says Freedom. “If anyone was to look closely into the poster you’ll find in one of the bottles that the year is depicted.”
Freedom takes particular inspiration from Depero, a futurist from the early 1900s he says was always forward-looking and hopeful, trying to mesh art and culture with the future. “[We] should always look to be creating new things,” says Freedom of such inspiration. “There’s always a lineage and a history and something that needs to be maintained.”
Maintain your own slice of Campari’s history with modern art and enter the competition to win this unique artwork.
This competition closes at 11.59pm on Sunday, 29 May 2022. Read the full terms and conditions.
This article is produced by Broadsheet in partnership with Campari.
BROADSHEET MEDIA X CAMPARI RED PASSION
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. By participating in the Broadsheet Media x Campari Red Passion Promotion, each participant fully and
unconditionally agrees and acknowledges that these terms and conditions are binding.
2. The promoter is Broadsheet, trading as Broadsheet Media Pty Ltd, ABN 20 131 593 201 of Level 1, 231
Smith Street, Fitzroy, VIC 3065 (Promoter).
3. The Promotion commences at 12:00 AEST on Friday 13 May 2022 and closes at 23
:59 AEST on Sunday 29 May 2022 (Promotion Period).
4. Entry is open to Australian residents only who are over 18 year of age at the time of the Promotion.
HOW TO ENTER
5. To enter this Promotion you must go to https://broadsheet2.typeform.com/to/XMdjPyul
and enter your
details including first name, last name and email address.
6. Multiple entries are not permitted.
7. Entrants can only enter in their own name. Entering under a false name/s may invalidate all entries.
Multiple entries under different names and/or different email addresses may also invalidate all entries at
the Promoter’s discretion. The use of automatic entry software, mechanical or electronic devices that
allows an individual to automatically enter the competition is prohibited and may render all entries
submitted by that individual invalid.
8. Employees of the Promoter, immediate family members of any employee, and any associated company or
agency of the Promoter are not eligible to enter.
9. Entrants may be required to provide proof of identity, proof of age and proof of residency to verify their
entry (Proof of Identity). Identification considered suitable for verification is at the Promoter’s discretion.
If an entrant/winner fails to provide Proof of Identity by the time and date stipulated by the Promoter, their
entry/prize claim will be deemed invalid at the Promoter’s discretion.
10. Entries not completed in accordance with these terms and conditions are void. Entries will be deemed void
if stolen, forged, mutilated or tampered with in any way.
DRAW AND PRIZES
11. The prize draw will take place at Level 1, 231 Smith St Fitzroy, VIC 3065 at 12:00 AEST on Monday 30
12. The first complete, eligible entry drawn will win the prize as described below. The Promoter will draw three
(3) reserve entries and record them (in order drawn) in case an invalid entry or ineligible entrant is drawn
as a winner or the winner is unable or unwilling to accept the prize.
13. The prize is: a custom made Campari inspired artwork, printed and framed A1 size.
14. The total prize pool is valued at up to $1,000 AUD (RRP inc. GST.)
15. The winner of this promotion will be notified via email to their nominated email address within two business
days of the draw. In this email the winner will be sent instructions regarding how to verify their entry
(including providing Proof of Identity) and how to redeem their prize.
16. The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable, and cannot be sold or exchanged for cash.
17. Once the provisional prize winner is deemed by the Promoter to have complied with these terms and
conditions of entry, the Promoter will deliver the relevant prize within 28 days of the winner’s entry being
verified and accepted.
18. The winner’s name will be published on the Website on or before Thursday, 2 June 2022.
19. The prize must be claimed by 12:00 on Wednesday 1 June 2022 (Prize Claim Date). If the prize is not
claimed by this time, the Promoter will conduct an unclaimed prize draw at 13:00 AEST on Wednesday 1
June 2022 at the same place as the original draw. The winner of the unclaimed prize draw (if any) will be
contacted by email within two business days of the unclaimed prize draw.
20. Where there is no valid prize winner, or the winner does not claim the Prize by the Prize Claim Date, the
Promoter will publish this on the Website on or after the Prize Claim Date.
21. It is a condition of accepting a prize that the winner agrees to participate in and cooperate with all
reasonable media editorial requests, including but not limited to, being interviewed, photographed and
filmed and the winner grants the Promoter a perpetual, non-exclusive licence (if applicable) to use, and
continuously releases and indemnifies the Promoter from and against any use of, such footage and
photographs in all media worldwide, and the winner will not be entitled to any fee for such use. The
inclusion of any such footage or photographs (including but not limited to creative control of the feature) will
remain with the Promoter at all times.
22. The Promoter reserves the right to alter the rules of the competition at any time, subject to regulatory
23. If for any reason any aspect of this Promotion does not run or is not capable of running as planned,
including by reason of infection by computer virus, network failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorised
intervention, fraud, technical failures or any cause beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter which
corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Promotion, the
Promoter may in its sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion, or invalidate any
affected entries, subject to applicable law.
24. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any problems or technical malfunction of any communication
network or for any late, lost, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, delayed, illegible, corrupted or misdirected
entries, claims or correspondence whether due to error, omission, alteration, tampering, deletion, theft,
destruction, transmission interruption, communications failure or otherwise. The Promoter has no control
over telephone communications, networks or lines and accepts no responsibility for any problems
associated with them, whether due to traffic congestion, technical malfunction or otherwise. The Promoter
is not liable for any consequences of user error including (without limitation) any costs incurred.
25. The Promoter may, at its sole discretion, declare any or all entries made by an entrant invalid, and prohibit
further participation by an entrant in this Promotion, if the entrant:
a. fails to verify their personal details and/or eligibility to enter the Promotion to the Promoter's
b. tampers with or benefits from any tampering with the entry process or the operation of the
c. submits an entry which in the Promoter's opinion is not in accordance with these Conditions of
d. acts in a disruptive manner or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other
e. engages in conduct in entering the Promotion which in the Promoter’s opinion is fraudulent,
misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the Promotion or
Promoter. This includes where entrants use multiple names or addresses to register multiple
26. The Promoter and associated agencies and companies shall not be liable for any loss or damage
whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any personal
injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s except for any liability which cannot be excluded
27. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from the prize winnings.
Independent financial advice should be sought. Where the operation of this Promotion results in, for GST
purposes, supplies being made for non-monetary consideration, entrants agree to follow the Australian
Taxation Office’s stated view that where the parties are at arm’s length, goods and services exchanged are
of equal GST inclusive market values.
28. Any disputes relating to the conduct of the promotion or the claiming of a prize are to be resolved by the
Promoter in their absolute and sole discretion and subject to applicable law or direction of a relevant
29. The Promoter’s decisions in relation to the Promotion are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
PERSONAL INFORMATION AND PRIVACY
30. The details contained in your entry are protected by security safeguards detailed in the Promoter’s Privacy
Policy, which is available at http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/info/privacy-policy
31. Your privacy is important to us. Your information is collected by Broadsheet Media Pty Ltd (Broadsheet)
the purpose of conducting this promotion, sending you our newsletter, keeping in touch with you about
news and information. Broadsheet may disclose your information to companies and agencies in connection
to third party organisations for marketing purposes. You may remain anonymous. If you do not provide
information, we may not be able to provide you with certain information, products or services. To access or
32. You can contact the Promoter’s Privacy Officer if you would like the details of the personal information that
the Promoter may hold about you or if you would like to be corrected. Our Privacy Officer’s contact details
Level 1, 231 Smith St
Fitzroy, VIC 3065
33. By entering this competition, you are subscribing to the Broadsheet newsletter database.
34. For the purposes of this promotion, we will provide the information we collect to Campari Australia who
may then also contact you for marketing purposes. You will be able to opt-out of future contact from
Campari Australia if you hear from them. You may remain anonymous, however if you do not provide the
information requested by us, we may not be able to provide you with certain information, products or