Australian Competitions Now with Compfolio!
Comping Club HomeHelpCalendarRegisterLoginCompingclubHelp
   Wednesday 22 May 2024, 04:42:25 am   
Welcome to Australia's favourite competition website

We currently have 1,553 comps and freebies worth over $188,238,818.47 listed

That's over one hundred and eighty eight million, two hundred and thirty eight thousand, eight hundred and eighteen dollars worth of
holidays, cars, boats, cash, computers, kitchens, home furnishings and other prizes to be given away!

Australia's most popular competition website

Compingclub

Compingclub
Compingclub
1017478 Total Posts (447311 Searchable Posts) in 299571 Topics by 41505 Members
Latest Member: Snazzledazzle
Comping Club  Australian Competitions Club
|-Comping Club  Expired
| |-Comping Club  Closed Competitions
| | |-Comping Club  Win 1/2 "The Me Strategies" Books (Easy entry)

Prizes you can win
 Category   • Art & Literature 
Prizes may include Paintings, Magazines, Books etc ...
Pages: 1 
Print
Author Topic: Win 1/2 "The Me Strategies" Books (Easy entry)  (Read 172 times)  (Replies 0 posts)
Ceramics
Comp Guru

Recent Activity
0%

« : Wednesday 02 May 2012, 03:56:36 pm »
Go Up

http://www.motherinc.com.au/magazine/frontpage/972-book-giveaway

"The Me Strategies" Book Giveaway

Touted as a new revolution in parenting  ‘The me strategies’ has been created by revered psychologist Jenny Chapman, the program gives parents of children aged from 4 years to when they leave home a chance to create healthier relationships within the family household. 

‘The me strategies’ is relevant not only to daily tasks but also to issues such as childhood obesity, ADHD and bullying. While typical parenting techniques rely on punishment, ‘the me strategies’ is based on choices and consequences that see children motivated to choose to earn incentives and privileges.

Jenny is also a great resource for all things related to child behaviour. she provides some practical tips for parents on how to respond to children lying – and how to prevent it from getting out of hand.

MotherInc has two copies of "The me Stategies" to Giveaway

Tip #1 – Pick Your Battles

Children DO make mistakes and don't always do things properly or perfectly. It's all part of the learning process of growing up. That being said, don't overwhelm your child by picking on everything that they do wrong. Not only can it affect their self-esteem, but it can also give them reason to continue to make these mistakes in order to draw attention to themselves.

Five should be the maximum number of issues you take up with your child at any one time. Like any relationship, it's important to pick the right times and reasons to go into battle.
Tip #2 – Don't Give in to Pester Power

We've all seen the mother at the supermarket or shopping centre with the tantrum child. The story is always the same – the child wants the toy/snack/treat and the mother has said no. Cue tears, tantrums, and pouty bottom lips.

However giving in to pester power creates bad habits that can be difficult to break – and let's be honest, we'd be broke if we had to give in to every item our children wanted! That's why you need to nip pester power straight in the bud. When your child is pestering you for something in a store, tell them to put it on their birthday or Christmas list. That way you aren't saying 'no' outright, but you aren't giving in either.
Tip #3 – Restrict Their Choices

Asking your child what they want or what they want to do can lead to disaster – arguments, misunderstandings or parents run ragged trying to keep up with all of the 'can I have this?' and 'can I do that?' demands.

To curb their hassles and give yourself peace of mind, always give your child the choice of two alternatives. Most importantly, make sure you are happy with either outcome and that they are both achievable given the circumstances.
Tip #4 – Use 'Thinking Words' rather than 'Confronting Words'

The words that you use when speaking to your child have a lot to do with the outcome. Confronting words are usually statements which use negative language to prove a point, while thinking words put the responsibility of their actions back on the child. For example:

Confronting words: 'You can't watch TV until your homework is done!'

Thinking words: 'Feel free to watch TV as soon as you finish your homework.'

Confronting words: 'You'd better not talk to me like that.' / 'Don't you speak to me like that!'

Thinking words: 'I'll be happy to listen when you calm down.'
Tip #5 – Make One-liners Your New Response

Does it often feel as though you've had this argument with your child before? Arguments and conversations that seem to go around in circles can be prevented by changing your usual response to a one-liner. Instead of becoming 'stuck' in the same conversation, one-liners are unexpected and will often disengage you from the argument. For example:

Child: 'You don't love me!'

Parent (stuck): 'Of course I love you, look at everything I do for you!'

OR Parent (one-liner): 'I'm sorry you feel that way.'
Tip #6 – Encourage Problem Solving

It is important to arm your child with the ability to problem solve themselves rather than seeking constant approval for their decisions and choices. That's not to say that leaving them to their own devices is always a great idea, but when situations arise that need solving, assist your child to work out the negative and positive consequences of the issue before choosing a solution. Doing this also helps to establish their moral compass and gives them the tools to be able to weigh up the positives and negatives of almost any situation.
Tip #7 – Use Consequences, Not Punishment

Many parents fall into the trap of using forms of punishment to try and prove a point. Whether that punishment involves yelling, smacking or grounding, punishment rarely teaches your child what you want them to learn. Punishment is characterised by criticism, sarcasm, disapproval or domination, and is not only damaging to a child's self-esteem, but also teaches them that force, intimidation and revenge are okay. Punishment doesn't teach your child to think for themselves.

By using consequences instead of punishment, children are taught to accept responsibility for their own actions and develop the ability to learn from their mistakes. Consequences teach your child lessons that lead to positive choices and give them the capacity to take responsibility for problems and therefore handle them. Consequences also help your child develop an inner voice of self-control.
Tip #8 – Be Consistent

Consistency is the key to creating and maintaining any child behaviour, whether it is positive or negative. They say it takes 21 days to form a habit, and parenting habits are no different. When implementing new parenting techniques, stick to your guns. You decided to undertake them for a reason.
Tip #9 – Reinforce Positive Behaviour

It can be easy to forget reinforcing positive behaviour in your child, however when they do something correctly, give them praise and appreciation. Belief in oneself encourages high self-esteem, and giving your child reasons to believe in themselves will help to nurture their confidence.

Intervention strategies such as 'the me strategies' (www.themestrategies.com) is a great way to successfully adjust your child's patterns of behaviour, teach new skills, and encourage participation in completing tasks and contributing to the family unit.

'the me strategies' is relevant to more than just basic parenting issues such as misbehaviour or defiance. It can be used to address issues such as childhood obesity, ADHD and bullying as well by teaching your child about action-and-consequence.

[$69.95 (AUD)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

MotherInc General Competition Terms and Conditions
The terms and conditions as stated below apply to all competitions on www.motherinc.com.au unless otherwise stated.

Entry is open to all residents of Australia except employees and associates of motherInc. Pty Limited and their associated agencies.
    The promoters of the motherInc. competitions are motherInc. Pty Limited A.C.N 094142355/A.B.N 78 094 142 355
    To enter into any of the motherInc. competitions log onto www.motherinc.com.au. Entry in the competition is automatic by clicking on the flashing competition banner on the home page of www.motherinc.com.au and filling in the entry form on the click through competition page.
    Maximum prize value is $250 per prize and up to $50,000 over 12 months.
    To be eligible all applications must be received and processed between the first day of the published month and the last day of the published month. No application will be processed if all information is not entered.
    There will be a single draw of names for the prize winner of each competition which will take place at 26 Amiens Road, Clontarf NSW 2093. The result of the draw will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
    The winner will be notified by email, or if not contactable by email, by telephone and written confirmation within 2 days of the draw. The name of the winner will be displayed on the motherInc. website.
    If the prize is not claimed in three months from the original draw date, a further draw will be conducted and a despatch of notification issued
    The prize is not refundable or transferable and may not be converted into cash.
    motherInc. Pty Ltd will not be liable for any loss or damage that any entrant or winner in this competition may suffer, whether as a result of the promoters' negligence or otherwise, except in relation to any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
    We may also use the information we collect to occasionally notify you about important functionality changes to the web site, motherInc. services and special offers we think you'll find valuable. If you would rather not receive this information, email or write to us.
    motherInc. Pty Ltd will not accept any responsibility for any delays in the mail service.
    Authorised under NSW Permit No LTPM/08-00883 and ACT Permit No 08/05331.
Go for it, give it a tweet!             

Pages: 1    Go Up
Print

Go Up

Jump to:  

CompFolio ™ marks and indicators:
Entered   Not Interested   Not Won   Prize Received
Revisit   Won Waiting For Prize   Remove Mark

Australian Competitions Club | Powered by SMF Deluxe.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.
Compingclub ™ © Australian Competitions Club
Page created in 0.0484 seconds with 8 queries.
Wednesday 22 May 2024, 04:42:25 am from 3.144.128.57